Friday, May 9, 2014

Guest Post: "Mother's Day French Toast"

I asked first time moms to share how this Mother's Day would be different for them...This was submitted by Felicia T., momma of a beautiful little girl from Reading, Pennsylvania. She is a Domestic Goddess for a living and a human rights activist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mother's Day has been an important part of my life ever since I understood what it was all about. My father left my mother and I around 1996 which created a bond between her and I that we would have never had. I remember thinking for months in advance what I should do to show her how much I appreciate her. Growing up, when my Mom would cook for me, she'd take a bite out of something and tell me there was a mouse in the house. Almost every Mother's Day, I got up extra early to make her breakfast in bed. I made sure to let her know that I too saw that mouse. (In case you're wondering stolen bites of french toast taste better than your own.) Getting up early to cook simple breakfast doesn't compare to the sacrifices my Mom made to take care of me, but each year I tried my best to let her know how much she's loved.
Now that I'm a mother myself, this one Sunday is more exciting than it ever was. The flowers and cards aren't what I am excited about. I'm happy about the title. I am a Mother and I'm now included in this exclusive club of women. When my daughter is old enough to make her own decisions on how to celebrate the day with me, I won't be looking forward to the gifts, I'll be looking forward to spending time with her. I realize now that french toast wasn't the special part of the day. The special part of Mother's Day is celebrating the bond you have with your children. This is a love like no other. This Sunday I will be cuddling my sweet baby and raising up the relationship that she and I will never have with anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment